[opendtv] Re: Freeview realities

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 12:17:56 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

If we don't have 80 models of STBs for sale at WalMart, it is certainly
not caused by a choice of modulation. CE vendors would have absolutely
no problem developing STBs for the US market right alongside their DVB-T
STBs, or even inside the same box. Integrated, global DTT chip sets
already exist.

Choice of modulation is what allows Australia, a country of 20 million people, to have "80 models of STBs for sale" while we have almost none in ATSC.

On the good news side, it has been reported on the PBS Connect site that Samsung is finally selling a 5th Gen STB, the DTB-H260F. Offered by CircuitCity.com for $179.99.

http://hdtvexpert.com/pages_b/h260f.html

John