[opendtv] Re: Freeview realities

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 14:05:39 -0500

On 11/15/06, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
John Shutt wrote:

> Choice of modulation is what allows Australia, a country of
> 20 million people, to have "80 models of STBs for sale" while
> we have almost none in ATSC.

The funny thing is, in spite of all the evidence of global decoder
chipsets, global tuners, and easily integrated 8-VSB demods, is that you
and Bob continue to believe that the reason for this is the modulation
standard.

How about, just for example, if the difference were that in Australia,
the retailers are willing to market these boxes, while in the US, the
retailers are encouraged to hide them? That's just a conspiracy theory
example, but it illustrates that JUST MAYBE, it has nothing to do with
modulation?

Or just maybe, US consumers are truly unwilling to use OTA TV, whereas
consumers in Australia know it exists?

Bert

Don't need a conspiracy theory. And it would be hard to stop retailers
from selling OTA receivers if they worked. In fact if DVB-T had been
allowed in the US I am sure that those 116 STB's being sold in OZ
today would be made to work in the US as well.

In that case anyone who wanted one could get one there via the
Internet. Can you imagine the number of DVB-T STB's that would be
available in the US today if we had allowed DVB-T?

If OZ has 116 I would expect the US would have 300 at least. And you
would be able to buy them used on EBAY for $10.

Bob Miller