[opendtv] Re: Freeview realities

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 12:59:59 -0500

OZ has 116 models of STBs according to this site.
http://www.dba.org.au/

Also
72 integrated HD sets.

And here are some of the digital card and device receivers.

Compro VideoMate DVB-T300 *
Avermedia A771 *
Nebula DigiTV (PCI and USB) *
DNTV Live! DVB-T *
Hauppauge Nova-T *
DPandA/TechnoTrend T-1500 *
TwinhanDTV *
DVICO FusionHDTV range *
DigitalNow DNTV Live! Hybrid LP *
DigitalNow DNTV Live! USB Hybrid *
TwinHan Alpha Mac Edition *

DPanda
Available in a PCI version.
Available from David Porter & Associates Pty Ltd

El Gato EyeTV 400
Available in a FireWire version.
Available from many AppleCentres in Australia.

LG has 4 COFDM receivers for sale in OZ. 3 HD and 1 SD.

OZ only has 20,090,453 people the US has over 300,000,000.

I remember vividly that before OZ had decided on going digital it was
argued rabidly there that such a SMALL market would not attract even
ONE manufacturer of any kind of receiver, intergrated, STB or other.
It was argued that the government would have to mandate receivers,
subsidize receivers and distribute receivers if OZ had any chance of
having a successful DTV transition.

It is all about the modulation and some about the codec. The codec may
become more central to the argument and cause a change in both but it
is really all about the modulation.

You can argue that the US is different because of must carry. I argue
yes we are different, must carry is why we have a garbage modulation.
Can't imaging broadcasters sitting on their hands (with the exception
of Sinclair, Granite and Pappas) while 8-VSB was chosen sans must
carry.

Bob Miller