[opendtv] Re: Freeview realities

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 16:31:39 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Any perceived intimidation or squabbling between broadcasters and
> the multichannel services is just to cover for the fact that they
> have a great scam going thanks to help from the politicians. Why
> would you want to give something away, when you can get people to
> pay for it?

Craig, it's funny how you keep asking that, even to the point of writing
in another post:

> On the other hand, a multichannel service that is free, creates a
> platform that content providers actually want to be part of.
>
> Go Figure...

I can't tell whether "go figure" means you can't understand this, or
whether you're being sarcastic. If it's the latter, then you answered
your own question.

Whether a Disney, a Scripps Howard, or a Sinclair owns the OTA network,
the same "go figure" applies. What matters to these companies is to make
revenue from the service. You don't need a subscription fee to create
revenue. Even AOL could figure that out.