[opendtv] Re: DTT tuner design

  • From: "johnwillkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 15:43:07 -0700

"promise versus performance" has always been a licensing issue, less so now
that you can get a station without promising much of anything.

The big programming commitment to get a license really only applied to the
first license term.  However, in the absence of comparative proceedings to
select licensees, the promises just aren't offered up these days.

However, having once done a study as to why TV and FM stations lost their
license, I can't recall any case where promise vs. performance resulted in a
loss of license.

Even in the WHDH-TV case (mid-1960's) where promise versus performance on
public affairs programming was at stake (with a new applicant promising
more), the station loss came from bribing the then-chairman of the FCC (Mr.
Lee) as detailed in the book "The 200 Million Dollar Lunch."

And, when the new applicants won the license, they not only promised much,
they exceeded their promises.

Not much has changed except that these promises don't arise these days.

And, need I point out that with the sunset of analog, TV stations get
"renewal expectancy| making it harder to lose a license?

John Willkie