[opendtv] Re: DTT tuner design

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 18:09:03 -0700

Frank wrote:
> My point about cell phone & DBS link budgets is that they are designed
> from the get-go to have margin -- a healthy, positive number of dB's
> under not just ideal conditions

Your comparing Apples to Watermelons - Broadcast distribution is what it is
and couldn't successfully adopt Cell methodology, if only for the huge
capital investment required. Most broadcasters cover their markets major
population adequately using the big stick augmented by translators or
repeaters, where needed. Ubiquitous coverage by analog or digital was never
expected and cell companies do not always achieve it, though they are
completely different issues.

> Funny that you think I represent the CE position. I'm a chip designer
> who works for a chip manufacturer.

You could have fooled me. The Razor cell phone I'm holding sort of looks
like a consumer product and Motorola has many divisions and was once
involved in the set top box business, IIRC. I also seem to recall that you
represented your company at ATSC but somewhat before my time there. You
clearly have all of the obfuscation moves required by a CE member which, in
an environment where technical matters must achieve consensus, makes it easy
to divert those who might not favor your agenda, i.e.: look how easily you
deflected our discussion regarding DTV tuner requirements.