[opendtv] Re: DTT tuner design

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2007 08:48:50 -0700

Bert wrote:
> Dale, first, to be clear, the numbers I showed for the Gemini chip were
> the numbers the CRC reported.

Thanks for making that clear. Do you have a feel for this chips deployment?
Can we assume that Samsung is using it in their current DTV sets?
My concern is more with the performance of those millions of DTV sets
recently sold and in the pipeline. This defines the baseline for OTA
reception capabilities for the next few years. Would be instructive to know
the design of the new converter boxes, which will have the most immediate
impact on OTAs success, after the transition.

> In this case, a known improvement today would be to use
> the trellis code to pinpoint where the error occurred
> Al mentioned this several times, and it's mentioned in
> one of the ATSC standards now. I think A/53.

Yes, I followed this development for some time at ATSC but don't know that
it is actually being deployed.

> I'm only advocating making the best with what we have,
> for the wide stream, for the time being.

Agree...
"if" manufacturers will make the receiver and coding improvements available
to them, our system should work satisfactorily. Unfortunately this hasn't
happened for the most part.
Those who opine that OTA is a loser and therefore making improvements is
unnecessary, are simply creating a self fulfilling prophesy.

Dale