[opendtv] Re: DTT tuner design

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 10:31:39 -0400

At 4:18 PM -0400 7/4/07, Albert Manfredi wrote:

And to prove this point, in last weekend's visit to Best Buy, I saw a brand new trend. Gone are those 20" 4:3 LCD SDTVs. None left. Now you will find a large assortment of 19", 22", and bigger 16:9 LCD HDTVs, built-in ATSC receiver, for prices starting at the high $200s and up into the $300s. They are typically 1366 X 768, which certainly qualifies as HDTV. People who buy these sets *will* often use the OTA receiver, is my bet. And strangely enough, my own nephew just did buy one, and is using the OTA receiver, without making a big deal about it.

Hmmmm...

Did you really look at all of the TVs at your Best Buy?

Yes, the LCD panels are there and displayed in a more prominent location, however, the 4;3 CRT based sets in my store still take up a complete aisle. What is more interesting about most of these CRT bases sets is that many of these models include DVD players, and in a few cases VHS tape transports as well.

As for what people will use sets for integrated receivers for...

The research suggests that most consumers are NOT using the DTV tuners...

Perhaps this will change if the industry actually starts to promote OTA reception. That is, before they move all of their most valuable content to the internet and pay per view.