[opendtv] Re: CMOS sensors and rolling shutters

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 13:25:07 -0500

http://www.dalsa.com/markets/ccd_vs_cmos.asp

dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx wrote:

Obviously the CMOS imager doesn't have the memory on board to transfer an entire frame to like an FIT CCD has. I suppose a region could be added to the CMOS imager to store the pixel's charges so that an entire frame can be transferred to the memory at once and then "read" out over the frame period. But then that is what a CCD is, correct? So remind me why CMOS imagers are desirable? Aren't they going backwards from the advantages of the FIT CCD?

Dan