[opendtv] Re: Apple to ditch IBM, switch to Intel chips

  • From: Kon Wilms <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 14:41:14 -0700

On Fri, 2005-06-10 at 17:04 -0400, James Watt wrote:
> BeOS was a very nice OS.  Incredibly fast (I had 9 video windows running at
> speed simultaneously) on a P133 (it was a few years ago), and very nice to
> use.  Too bad there were no apps for it (just those written by Be) and it
> wasn't compatible with anything.  Like Apple, Be seemed to believe that a

http://www.bebits.com/ ..no what? BeOS was POSIX-enough compliant for me
to port a number of apps from linux with ease (screen, etc.). Plus,
there is a X11 compatibility layer. It is very outdated now, but in its
prime one could port applications without too much complexity (just look
at VLC).

BeOS is still very much alive and kicking, with a following much like
the Amiga community. A company called YellowTab is even releasing
customized version with core system replacements as new versions (Zeta).

Cheers
Kon