[opendtv] Re: Another Wireless PC-to-TV Idea

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 07:00:48 -0400

That's a whole new ball game, though. Now you're talking about TVs with more smarts, and TVs that don't exist. Whereas adding functions to PCs is part of their DNA.

But there more. As far as I can tell, the Internet smarts being added now to "TV appliances," e.g. to BluRay players, and probably the same is true for Internet-connected TVs, are much more limited than what PCs can do. For instance, our new BluRay player can only access a handful of Internet sites, pre-programmed. That's it! This is why that other article Craig posted yesterday made such a big deal about all of the political wrangling going on to get TV content to TVs. Because all they are really after is creating walled gardens.

This might be the way those few companies like it, but aren't we all glad that PCs didn't evolve that way? I'm not impressed with these "smart" TVs coming in the future. Unless something changes.

What we are talking about is optimization of the user's viewing experience on a big screen that is typically 7-10 feet away; a display that is optimized for video, not for high resolution computer generated graphics. It is relatively easy to deal with some of the issues, in particular optimizing video for display on the TV. It is a bit more difficult to take the average web site and make it work properly on the big screen, hence the need for a different version of the website, optimized for the TV.

This is not about walled gardens; it is about optimization of the viewing experience. There are good reasons that many web sites now have mobile versions; now you can add a TV version to your list...