[opendtv] Re: Another Wireless PC-to-TV Idea

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 17:19:39 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Most of this content is NOT encoded using MPEG-2 and is not streamed
> using the MPEG TS structure.

Whatever wireless (or wired) protocol you use, you will need to meet their
specs. Even bluetooth or WiFi, or anything else. So, there's nothing new here.
Think of MPEG-TS as the functional equivalent of whatever link layer the other
wireless interfaces must have. And of course, MPEG transcoders are readily
available.

I will agree that you can either use an existing wireless standard that the PC
uses, perhaps bluetooth or perhaps WiFi (assuming you actually have those), and
then add something to the TV, or you can do vice versa. That is the one valid
point you made.

> not to mention permission from the FCC to transmit on a VHF channel.

As I said, this could fit into a new category of super-low-power white space
device. The FCC seems very willing to allow white space devices of any kind.
This would be no more than 0.5 mW, just slightly more than 1 percent of the
output of the lowest power white space device now, which is specified as 40 mW.

> Unfortunately, if you use a PC to render the website, it is likely
> that the server will send the PC version, so it may not play well on
> the TV.

Why not? It's no more difficult than adding a second video card and display to
the PC.

> Are you going to have the PC render still images of the page then
> transmit them using MPEG-2 in a valid transport stream?

How do you think a video card transmits a "still image" to the PC display?

>> Or, naturally, you can also wirelessly connect the PC to the TV just
>> to use the larger TV display. For any computer stuff.
>
> REALLY? please tell me how this works via an ATSC receiver in the TV...

Whooee, Craig. This is incredible.