[opendtv] Re: Another Wireless PC-to-TV Idea

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 05:51:33 -0400

At 6:13 PM -0400 10/3/10, Albert Manfredi wrote:

For heaven's sake, Craig. Are you just enjoying making ridiculous arguments?

No, but I do enjoy the ridiculous arguments you make...

;-)

How will the devices you listed (wow, all but one are from Apple) help get video and audio from a computer to a TV? Do you know of TVs that have built-in iPod Touches? Or TVs that have WiFI enabled iPhones built in? No? Oh, you mean you need something else at the TV set?

I was just making a point about installed the installed base of WiFi devices - Apple is but a small part of this, but the devices I listed ARE capable of sending audio and video to a $99 Apple TV box that has an HDMI connector for all the TVs you listed.

I'm saying, EVERY TV sold since 3/1/2007 has had a built-in ATSC receiver. So figure it out. You need NOTHING extra to get computer audio and video into a TV, other than a USB dongle at the computer.

And you need nothing extra to get audio and video out of hundreds of millions of computers, smart phones, etc. than a "dongle" on the TV.

Either way you can get audio and video to the TV. But with Apple's dongle, or Roku, or others, you ALSO get content from the cloud to the TV. And it is likely that Apple TV will also become a game machine and a web browser and it will run many other apps that will control other things in the home.

So unless YOUR ATSC dongle is dirt cheap, it appears to have VERY limited functionality.

THis is obvious. Just as obvious as those NTSC modulators made for things like DVD players, to get the audio and video into TVs that had no baseband inputs.

As I have said repeatedly, you are living in the past.