[opendtv] Re: Another Wireless PC-to-TV Idea

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 20:27:42 -0400

Well heck, Bert, if all you're interested in is SD, use an analog NTSC
modulator and be done with it.

But if you do want to do wireless ATSC, you must use AC3 audio.  It's the
law.  (Or at least that's the only audio that ATSC tuners in the US
understand.)

A DVR can use any format they want internally, including JPEG2000 video and MPEG layer 3 audio.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

I don't think you need much more than SD quality if you're mostly
interested in streaming media. If you want to do more general web
browsing, then yes. On the other hand, the entire 6 MHz is available for
any one stream, so perhaps the encoder can be less advanced than those
used by broadcasters who want to multicast.

Don't know about the audio encoder. I just think this MPEG encoding
problem is being exaggerated?