[opendtv] Re: Another Wireless PC-to-TV Idea

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2010 13:22:40 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> First, the content on the PC is already compressed, typically using
> MPEG-2 or h.264.

Not a problem.

> Second, creating a new wireless connection technology around ATSC
> makes little sense, given the issues that Cliff raised, AND the
> reality that other solutions are leveraging mass market technologies
> such as WiFi and wireless USB.

There is nothing more mass-market than the ATSC built-in receivers, mandated
since March 1 of 2007.

My bet is that a tiny ATSC transmitter, for the purpose of such "personal area
network" ranges, and for this sort of non-commercial application, could be
built in hardware and stamped out for not a whole lot of money.

The range requirements here are in the order of 10 meters, which is way below
what the 40 mW TVBDs would need. Using 200 MHz as the VHF frequency, a mere 0.5
mW can easily reach a receiver 10 meters away, with -41.5 dBm of received
power. So this is way below even the 40 mW small portable TVBD level of power.