[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Should Apple Buy Hollywood?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 16:45:58 -0600

Mike Tsinberg wrote:

> DVD sold to both 4:3 and 16:9 sets but picked up popularity with
> HDTV sets because of 16:9 content and component interface we called
> at Toshiba Color Stream. It was not true HD but many consumers
> believed it was. With a good scaler and well compressed picture
> quality it was pretty close. The picture quality of DVD was
> considerably better then NTSC because of 4:2:0, component
> interface, and VBR (Variable Bit Rate) coding on the disk.

Indeed, compared with NTSC broadcast, DVDs looked quite good.

However, by the time HDTV became popular, say since 2006, most HDTV sets had
become large enough, and other HD content abundant enough, that (IMO) the fact
that DVDs are not HD became more clear to the average joe.

No doubt, this doesn't matter hugely to the average joe. When I watch Internet
TV, I get good images, but hardly the razor sharpness of HD. Which makes live
TV that much more interesting, when I do use it.

I guess what I'm saying is, the time to rave about the quality of upconverted
DVD (not that you are doing so, I hasten to add) is long past, I believe.
People do know HD these days, if for no other reason, because they watch live
sports