[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Should Apple Buy Hollywood?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 10:21:33 -0500

I guess what I'm saying is, the time to rave about the quality of upconverted DVD (not that you are doing so, I hasten to add) is long past, I believe. People do know HD these days, if for no other reason, because they watch live sports

And they can buy Blu Ray if they want "real" HD movies. But that market remains a niche.

But this completely ignores your premise in this thread - that HD content drove the uptake of HD displays and was the primary reason for the uptake of LCD displays.

Neither of these contentions are/were true, as Mike and others have pointed out.

Broadcasters may have hitched their fortunes to HD via the ATSC standard, but they are no longer the driving force in the content industry. The fact that most smart phones can capture video in HD, but a very large percentage of U.S. TV stations cannot originate local HD content should tell you something.