[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Should Apple Buy Hollywood?

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 09:51:37 -0800

Bert wrote:

"First, the response to Dan has to be, as he knows better than me, if you
want to be noticed on the Internet you need to go to a site (or sites?)
that aggregates enough of your type of content to reach a "critical mass."
If the UNLV TV station gets almost lost in a cable system, it will most
likely become even more lost over the Internet. Unless it waves a big flag,
along with other similar university/PBS stations, perhaps?

Craig wrote:
"Dan was talking about UNLV Internet streaming services, not programming
that is available via the MVPDs or Broadcast. The statement was that
'nobody can find it.'

"But you seem to agree that some form of aggregation and promotion may be
necessary for viewers to find content that is NOT part of the
Cable/DBS/Broadcast universe. Unfortunately, when certain companies try to
do this you cry foul and say they are 'just another walled garden'."

A couple of maybe not so interesting points:

One, we used to have a much bigger audience for UNLV-TV.  We used to be on
channel 4 on our city's cable system.  Then we were pushed to channel 70
and then to the Digital Tier where we now reside with the local PBS
educational block.  The chances of stumbling across our programs are slim
to none.  The point being, having programming on an MVPD at a preferred
location is still significant promotional asset.  I suppose I stated the
obvious there.

Second, there have been attempts to aggregate common programming from small
producers for decades and sometimes it works and sometimes not. For
instance, several people over the years have tried to start a channel
dedicated to university programming.  We usually took part in them but
never have they succeeded.  Let's face it: there were a few wonderfully
produced shows buried with a lot of poorly produced ones (actually, this
sounds like the typical MVPD channel).  So along came internet streaming
and it appeared that this would be the answer with no need to rely on a
"brand" or aggregated programming.  Wrong.  It is just as difficult to get
noticed as it has ever been.  But I suppose at least students can now
actually get to their self generated programming ...if they want to. "So at
least [they] have that going for [them]...which is a good thing."

Dan