[opendtv] Re: Analysis: Should Apple Buy Hollywood?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 17:19:48 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> I do not necessarily agree that Apple could break the stranglehold of
> the media oligopoly by developing its own content for ala carte
> distribution, but the idea is certainly worth discussing...

The point of the article was more that Apple should buy Hollywood, not that
Apple should develop content on their own.

To which my immediate reaction was, it would only make matters far worse. Not
so much "frying pan to fire," but rather we'd go from multiple content owners
competing among themselves to one closed ecosystem.

> Imagine any show or movie on demand on your TV, way beyond what is
> available in iTunes now. There is no program guide, no schedule.
> Everything is there, organized according to your taste or what's
> popular that day.

Yup. And this can be done without introducing any monopolistic third parties.
No AppleTV empire, no GoogleTV empire. Just let the content owners figure out
their own business models, and let them worry about making those business
models workable. They ought to know how - it's their revenues at stake.

> And if Apple charges only a fraction of what you pay for cable today,

then you'd be wasting your money anyway. Apple can charge for their TV sets,
and whatever GUIs they design for their TV sets, and that's fair game. LG,
Samsung, Philips, et. al. can do likewise.