[opendtv] Re: 5th gen receivers

  • From: Philip Hodgetts <philip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 11:39:09 -0800

At 1:22 PM -0600 1/23/05, Doug McDonald wrote:
>Bob Miller wrote:
>  > Just how does a broadcast system that is stuck in the stone age with
>>  8-VSB and MPEG2 and can't quite deliver a 1080i signal well survive for
>  > 35 years in the radical world of change we live in?
>
>Because the FCC says so.
>
>They say so because stability is needed to protect the
>equipment investments of almost 300,000,000 people.

If the OTA industry is stuck with 8-VSB and MPEG-2 for 30 years it
simply won't exist. There will be too many 'end runs' around it for
it to matter anymore.

Even 10 years from now it will be dead and gone if locked into that scenario.
--
Philip Hodgetts

The Software Guy http://www.DVGuys.com
Internet Radio for Digital Storytellers

The ProApps-Hub
The convenient way to get all the news you need: timely and useful.
Never miss a critical warning.  Daily productivity tips.
http://www.ProApps-Hub.com

Columnist: MacDesign Magazine

Contributor:  www.lafcpug.org, www.kenstone.net, creativecow.net