[opendtv] Re: 5th gen receivers

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 18:22:26 -0500

All that may be true except I've seen no sign any broadcaster is
considering it.  Or really considering much of anything having to do
with ATSC digital TV except getting carried on cable.

I'll even offer one other possible explanation for ATI tying up much of
the ATSC receiver chip market.  Maybe they are just cheaper and nobody
is building ATSC STBs and the integrated TV building CE folks want a
cable tuner with just the minimum ATSC receiver so they can just say
they have one.

But then again, maybe the ATI chips will be really wonderful.  Dunno.

I wonder if USDTV is still planning on 5th gen chips?  Or have they also
switched?  It would sure seem they would need something that really
worked if they want to be supported by subscription revenues.

- Tom