[opendtv] Re: 5th gen receivers

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 12:33:07 -0500

Or if broadcasters were to actually cooperate in getting sufficient
guide info in PSIP free on the the air then there would be maybe a
market for STB's that were PVR's that could be used without a paid
subscription, making OTA even more competitive with cable.

But broadcasters don't like PVR's so they probably won't help the CE
guys here.

We have the CE folks, the broadcasters, the IP conglomerates, the cable
guys, and the satellite guys all with different agendas.  What a
squabble.  No wonder Powell quit.

By the time they get it all together bandwidth may be cheap enough and
codecs good enough we can just do it all over the Internet, and a pox on
all their houses.

Just wait until someone introduces efficient ANONYMOUS P2P AVC multicast
video streaming.  ;-)

- Tom