[opendtv] Re: 5th gen receivers

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:49:20 -0500

Doug,

OTA digital is not about HD, it is about going digital and multicast is
not only OK but desirable if OTA is too survive.

And you are complaining about power levels? You need more power than
they do in the UK where COFDM is used? I thought that COFDM needed more
power. We should LOWER the power levels in the US with 8-VSB to the
average power level in the UK or ONE kW.

If you add up ALL the power of the 480 transmitters using COFDM in the
UK you do not get 1/2 of the power of one ONE MEGA Watt US 8-VSB station.

And they report perfect reception from 200 Watt transmitters at 30
miles. Think what you could do with a 200 Watt 8-VSB transmitter, 60
miles right? So why do you need more power?

Bob Miller