[opendtv] Re: 1080p questions

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 17:08:03 -0800

"480p scaled to 1080p is NOT the same as a 1080 source." --Leonard
Caillouet

Too true.  And probably a good point to the original question from Cliff.

Originally, part of the question from Cliff's friend was whether 1080p
should be considered over a 1080i monitor.  Of course, that lead to a lot
of discussion of whether a 1080i monitor is even out there, given the
nature of LCD technology.

However, the point I was trying to make was that there is a benefit to
watching 480p material upscaled to a 1080p display.  I imagine it would be
very costly to replace an entire DVD collection with a Blu-Ray one.  I had
my doubts but the first time I viewed an upscaled, low budget production on
our Christie 7K projector with a full 1920x1080 raster, I was pleasantly
surprised.  of course, it didn't rival Blu-Ray material.

I believe Cliff's friend mainly uses DBS so perhaps my bringing it up is
moot since DBS will provide the superior 1080p material.

Dan