[opendtv] Re: 1080p questions

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 16:35:30 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> I am surprised, after all these years that nobody responded with
> the correct question/answer.
>
> Video formats and display resolution are decoupled now that we
> have moved to digital TV. ANY set must deal with every format,
> converting the source formats to the local display resolution.

Craig, I would indeed be surprised if virtually EVERYONE out there today
doesn't already know this. Surely, the person asking the question was not
worried about getting a black screen when material other than 1080p was being
transmitted? Or vice versa, a black screen if 1080p were being transmitted?

The intent of the question seemed to be to determine if there are very
compelling reasons to buy a 1080p set. Presumably, the availability of actual
1080p material being a compelling reason.

In point of fact, I think that new sets of any largish size are going to 1080p
anyway, so it's not like there's going to be a lot of deciding to do much
longer.

Also, I'm quite satisfied with my 768p 42" screen. However, it is also true
that if I walk up a little closer to it than my usual viewing position (~9-10'
away), I can definitely start seeing pixels. So even upconversion to 1080p in
the display can be useful in this medium size range, e.g. if you're going to
have people watching from less than ideal sitting positions.