[opendtv] Re: 1080p questions

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 20:26:07 -0500

Bert -

Ok, I see where the confusion is.  I was talking about the law/license
restrictions that forbid DVD players from upscaling.  Of course they
cannot make a fully detailed 1080p picture simply because DVD's have
only  480 (or 576) lines encoded anyway.   But the whole restriction was
on upscaling them and  that happens in almost all modern TV's anyway,
with or without analog inputs.   Of course the reason for the
restriction wasn't really (mostly) so you couldn't  view them at 1080p.
I believe it was so they could mandate Macrovision copy protection.
(here talking about DVD's and VCR's)

But I confused the issue  because currently there are also discussions
of BD Image Constraint and of course the looming analog sunset on
playing BD discs.   At the time I replied I had not realized that was
part of the context of this current discussion and was not at all
referring to those.  In that context I see where both you and Leonard
are correct.  It certainly will lower the image quality to honor ICT
tokens, effectively filtering out any detail above 480p levels.  (now
talking about BD players and restrictions)

Finally (talking in both contexts) and like Craig often suggests, I
believe a well mastered and properly upscaled DVD can actually have
about as much detail as some of the too common poorly mastered Blu Ray
discs.  I believe I've posted links to some samples of this in the
past.  It isn't that 1080p encoding cannot have much more detail, just
that it sometimes doesn't when encountered in some real life samples.

Anyway, sorry, sometimes in a thread like this it is too easy for me to
just reply to the most recent post in front of me and forget (and not
reread) the larger context.

- Tom