[ola] Re: Vocabulary review

  • From: Harris levinson <hlevinson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 18:02:35 -0800

My classes play a Password activity similar to Stell's where I pair
students up and have them all work at the same time, rather than one group
up front and others watching. One of the partners is facing the screen and
the other has his/her back to it. On the screen is a slideshow of images
depicting the vocabulary. (This can take some time to develop, but TAs get
good at making them if you are fortunate enough to have a TA.)

Yes, students do need to recognize what the image depicts, but they
typically do. If they do not, they are encouraged to say what they see and
then their partner can help them figure it out. They must circumlocute. If
they are not having success, then they can use actions though I usually
prohibit the associated action from our circle or Pancho Comancho because
those are so well known that they make the game too easy.

After students work for 30-60 seconds on a word, I shake a maraca or blow a
train whistle and say the word. Those pairs that were correct jump up and
high twenty each other (two high tens in the air) and get a point. After
five or six words they switch positions.

You can also have them pull out their old vocab flashcards, if you have
them make flashcards, and play a game called Fast Finger where all the
cards are spread out Spanish side up (not image side) in between two
players (duos or trios) and the teacher gives a Spanish clue--a context for
the word, a synonym, an antonym, something that will prompt them to point
to a certain vocabulary word. Point for the person who touches it first.

Harris

--
Harris Levinson
Teacher, Adviser