[muglo] Re: SLA question

  • From: Wayne Dobson <pwdobson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 12:40:12 -0500

All E.U.L.A.'s are different, Microsoft is particularly fussy. Apple,
on the other hand, uses no serial numbers and relies on the honour
system. A lawyer friend read over the Tiger EULA, and offered this
opinion: You buy a licence to use Tiger on one machine at a time. This
allows you to uprade your machine and migrate the software, sell the
machine to someone else with the software, etc. You can make multiple
backup copies as long as you only have one copy installed at a time.
Gray area: can you have the same copy on a spare Mac at the cottage as
long as one machine is on at a time? Probably not, unless you un-
install the one at home before you leave. Sometimes the law is an ass.
New ant-pirating legislation being tabled will make it illegal to make
backups, or even own blank media.
On Dec 4, 2008, at 12:06 PM, Douglas Feick wrote:

>> A few years ago, my son-in-law ...
>
> In the great scheme of things, I would agree with you; however, I am
> wondering if there is an ownership with the software provider that
> has a serial # connection to a specific machine? eg. my Microsoft
> Office opens with my name and a serial # on the opening page (not the
> doc. I use) Would this pose a problem if the machine you are using
> isn't the one it is licensed to when you access sites like Apple?
>

> ---
> MUGLO information at <http://www.freewebs.com/muglo>
> Manage your account options at <//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi

Wayne Dobson