[modeleng] Thoughts on future projects....

  • From: Chris Crosskey <chris.crosskey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 11:36:33 +0000

Hi folks,
I need some advice...

In the next month or so the move of my old workshop at my parents house to my
new very much larger workshop at my house will be complete (it's only taken two
years to sort it out :))...

Given how I work I rather suspect I will want to have three projects on the go
once I've settled in..

1: The restoration of my horizontal mill...
2: Construction of an Orrery
3: It's about time I built something powered by steam...

The mill is an old Herbert Simplimill, built like a tank, not all that big but
weighs nearly a ton, I've got the vertical head for it and have tracked down
some tooling... apart form just putting it back together and getting it running
right I need to make some changegears for it as that's what it uses for setting
speeds (and feeds) and I'm considering long-term putting Norton-style gearboxes
on it for speed and feed selection.... The actual things I might do rather
sooner than long-term is make a quill-based vertical head for it so that I can
use it as a drilling machine, and I have a slotting head (from something else)
that I'd like to get working on it too. Would welcome advice from people who
have recommissioned mills or similar machines from a big pile of parts....

The orrery is just something I want for my lounge and if it takes me 15 years
to get through that much watchmaking then so be it, I'll take it in easy
stages, start off with an earth and moon, add a Sun, then the inner planets,
then Mars, then build separate sets for the giants then get the whole lot
working as one.... Don't need advice for that..

The third bit is the one where it gets more complicated.... I've got two things
in mind.... A steam powered bicycle based on the Hope layout probably built
onto a butchers bike or similar, or a steam paddle launch. The launch would
need to have a disassemblable hull ...I  know how to do the disassemblable bit
but I've never built a boat hull before and would need a design that I could
adapt... Hopefully by making it disassemblable I could build an 18-foot or so
paddle launch which would fit onto a smallish trailer. I've seen a launch that
size (paddle too) running off the boiler and engine of a 7 ½" Shay (literarally
mounted in the hull minus its wheels with the shaft taken to the paddle
drive.... I'd prefer to do it with a vertical boiler of some description and a
freelance two or three cylinder engine.... Any advice welcome there too... I'd
want the boiler to get within the model boiler regs for ease of certification
(it's not that the regs are less tight, it's just it's easier to find a tester
and cheaper to get done...)... are there any designs for vertical or marine
boilers near the model limit? What sort of pressure would be sane? 80psi?
150psi? What does a 7 ½" Shay have in terms of bar-litres and engine
bore/stroke?

chrisc

QA Engineer
Vicon Motion Systems, Oxford.