[modeleng] Re: Thoughts on future projects....

  • From: "Wilfried Vermeiren" <vermeiren.wilfried@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 10:44:34 +0100

Hi,
I followed the tred about the paddle steamer with interest. Would certainly
bee a project of interest.
Quite a few years back one of the members of the model yacht club build a
Thames paddle steam tug. These boats were rather narrow in hull form and
were by nature not already that stable. I remember vividly the first trails
with fixed paddles. The boat insisted in capsizing itself. It proved the
case that the uplifting paddle tried to dig itself deeper and deeper into
the water and as long there was an equal force on the opposite side things
went reasonably ok . But once there was a heel to one side the problem
worsened and the result was unavoidable and stopping the engine was the only
option to save the boat.
In the end the builder had to go the whole way and build in the compensation
system for the paddles. Afterwards the boat performed like it was supposed
to do.
Just some thoughts and observations.
Regards
Wilfried Vermeiren