[modeleng] Re: Thoughts on future projects....

  • From: GWRdriver <gwrdriver@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 15:02:00 -0400 (EDT)

-----Original Message-----
>From: stepney <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>Given reasonable luck, most people are OK until they are around 60-ish or so.
> From then onwards, it is anybodys guess

Hello all,
Alan in the USA it's seems to be a bit different, or was until not long ago.
Some years ago I read in more than one trustworthy source that if you could
make it into your late 50s, and the genes were good, the probabilities were
heavily on your side that you would make it into the 80s, or beyond, before the
usual snipers begin to pick you off.  No guarantees of course, but the
probabilities were in your favor.

I'm not sure that is the case now because while mortality from the usual means
remains fairly level we are facing an epidemic of diabetes for the most part
due to childhood (and of course adult) obesity.  Some of this is genetic,
Diabetes has cut a wide swath through several generations of my family although
I have been spared so far.  The current rise is being brought about by excess
sugar in the diet and lack of exercise.  The solution is simple; eliminate
gratuitous sugars from the diet, reduce carb intake, increase protein intake,
and get out from in front of the tele and walk around a bit.  While I was never
"fat", and I'm physically active (for my age), yet I continually carried around
nearly 2 stone unnecessary weight, and I am not tall.  A year ago I set out to
lose my extra weight and did so in a matter of months by learning to live
without gratuitous sugar, rebalancing my carb/protein intake, and walking
several times a week.  I'm by no means a martyr or health nut, I don't deny
myself treats, a regular pint or a fruit pie, but a reasonable balance is the
key.  The other help to a longer life is IMHO to reduce the greatest extent
possible stress and try whenever possible to keep a good attitude!  I was in a
very stressful profession and I figure that (and women) took at least ten years
off my life.  I don't want to preach, this is just how I've chosen to try to
squeeze a bit more time in.  All this being said, I can feel a significant loss
of stamina and energy in the last 10 years.

Cheers,
Harry