[modeleng] Re: Thoughts on future projects....

  • From: "Clifton" <clif.gwr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 10:42:11 -0000

Hi Wilfried,

I went down exactly the same route.

Years ago I built model boats & realized that for steering competitions you
could not beat a paddle steamer with independent paddle speed controls for
shear manoevability. One paddle forward,one reverse boats spins on the spot.
The snag was that using simple paddles the darn thing simply dug itself in
on one side. In actual fact the more it digs in, the more water the paddle
is trying to lift so making the problem worse. This in turn is compounded by
the fact that the paddle on the other side is now higher or out of the water
&  is lifting less water.

I then had to learn about & build feathering paddles.

One useless bit of information is that whilst Tugs were allowed independent
paddles, all passenger steamers had to have them locked together on one
shaft.

Regards

Clif