[modeleng] Re: Thoughts on future projects....

  • From: stepney <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 11:11:41 +0000

Coming back to the steam options that Chris mentioned,

I know someone who has done a lot of research on steam bikes. An
ex-university lecturer, he has written an interesting paper on them plus
a comprehensive survey.  There was one running at the St Agnes rally a
few years ago.

Generally, they werent too successful as motorbikes, but could be good fun.

As for steam boats, there was an interesting flash steam boiler at... I
think it was Donnington, a few years ago. I have photos and details
somewhere.
It made a compact unit that provided lots of steam.
Plus, of course, no actual pressure vessel to test.
That would be my choice for such a vessel. The other option is a
vertical boiler, which is common and for which there are numerous
designs available.

For the engine, and without doing any calculations, I would guess that 3
or 4hp, would suffice.
(Paddles being less efficient than a screw, and to raise the efficiency
of paddles means quite complex paddle design, so I assume they would be
fairly basic=less efficient.)
There are lots of engines that would provide that power. Some of the
Leak designs would do, but for a paddle steamer, I would go with an
inverted V, much like the model that Tel built last year (or was it the
year before?).
An enlarged version of that would give a low CofG, and take up little space.

Alan