[modeleng] Re: Steel Wheels

  • From: "Phill Smith" <steam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 21:59:28 +0800

Barry,

Do it with the "thou per inch" interference fit, and shrink them on.

The best way to do this accurately (and so they can't come of through
continual cornering) is to put a small step on the inside of the rim, with a
matching inner bore in the tyre. When running, the forces of the engine
going around a curve are trying to push the tyre of the rim towards the
frame. To counter this, the shoulder is normally made around 80 - 100 thou
(2 - 2.5mm) wide and 20 - 40 thou in step. There is no need for this step to
be a press fit, but I make it so anyway. It is also under the flange so it
can't be seen.....  But the best bit is that it acts as a stop for the tyre
when it is dropped on, which locates it square, and at the correct position.

Oh........ One other thing. Don't be tempted to increase the interference
fit, as the stresses may be increased enough that the rolling stresses
(compressive stress) may permanently stretch the tyre so that it comes
loose...... I have seen a loco have this problem.

Cheers,

Phill.