[modeleng] Steel Wheels

  • From: "Barrie Purslow" <bpduo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Model Engineering List" <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 17:48:35 -0000

I have just acquired, at great expense, a piece of steel tube 8" I.D. and
3/4ins. wall thickness. I am about to start machining it to produce six steel
tyres which I intend to shrink onto three pairs of existing, cast iron wheel
sets (after machining off the current treads). The plan is to make the tyres
with one thou per inch of interference, expand them with heat then shrink them
onto the wheels.
Before I pluck up courage to do this job does anyone have any advice to offer?

Barrie