[modeleng] Re: Steel Wheels

  • From: "Barrie Purslow" <bpduo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Model Engineering List" <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 11:16:56 -0000

Rich,

The wheels are already on the axles - and have done many miles, such that
the tread is "hollow".

Please see my reply to Charles regarding alignment,

Regards,

Barrie

> As far as the 1thou per in interference is concerned, is this the norm
> that is allowed for shrinking cast iron onto steel (as if you go for any
> more you cause the cast iron to crack as it is in tension)? But going the
> other way round, shrinking steel onto cast iron, I suspect that you can
> subject the cast iron to larger loads before it goes BANG, but if you are
> shrinking onto a spoked iron casting, you ought to be careful you don't
> cause the centre boss to collapse. In this case, maybe the centres should
> be machined and fitted to the axles before shrinking on the tyres.
>
> An alternative viewpoint is to work out how much expansion of the steel
> you can get by heating it, which will ulitmately give you the inteference
> fit.
>
> One other thought - best to make sure you have a shoulder somewhere on the
> arrangment, to make sure that the tyre is dead square on the wheel when
> the whole thing goes tight. If it goes tight on the 'huh' I suspect it
> might work itself loose in service, no matter how tight an inteference fit
> you think you've got.
>
> Yours,
>

> Rich.
>

> On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, cbrumbelow@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> Be sure your assembly arrangement allows time to get the tyres/tires on
>> and lined up before the temperature difference is gone.  It might be well
>> to leave the exteriors of the tires enough oversize to allow truing cuts
>> once everything has been assembled.  Some might even suggest that the
>> final truing take place between centers with the tires on the wheels and
>> the wheels on the axles.  And, you might want to match each tire to a
>> specific wheel center as you turn the sets.  Am I reading correctly that
>> you will have wheel centers of a nominal 8" diameter and an interfereance
>> fit of 0.008 inches?  Charles

>>> 3/4ins. wall thickness. I am about to start machining it to produce six
>>> steel
>>> tyres which I intend to shrink onto three pairs of existing, cast iron
>>> wheel
>>> sets (after machining off the current treads). The plan is to make the