[modeleng] Re: Question about phase converters

  • From: "Jesse Livingston" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 16:12:36 -0600

Steve,

I have built two phase converters by using 1-1/2hp electric motors and large
capacitors.  Both motors were given to me by the local electric motor
rebuilder/retailer.  One was brand new, but had arrived with the base broken
and was replaced, the other one had its shaft broken (?) off flush with the
front bell housing.  Ran perfectly.  One capacitor came from my worn out 5
ton central air conditioner and other one was given to me by the motor
company that gave me the motors.  Therefore I have no money tied up in the
convertors at all unless you count the cost of replacing that air
conditioner!!

I know where there is a large home made (40 hp I think) phase converter
running a backwoods sawmill near here.  No capacitor was used on that one,
but they have a small electric motor that they belt to it to get it spinning
and after that it continues to run so they throw the starting belt off of
it.

I say build your own converter.  Scrounge around and see what you can find.
Wiring is so simple it is hardly worth mentioning.

Jesse in somewhat wet West Tennessee USA