[modeleng] Re: Question about phase converters

  • From: David Everett <deverett2003@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 21:59:01 +0000 (GMT)

I use electronic inverters on my lathe and milling machine.  I picked them up
quite cheaply on
eBay.  I have had no problems with either of them and the extra controlability
of the motors is a
boon - to me.  One possible disadvantage is that really you need a separate
inverter for each
motor.  Theoretically you can hook up more than one motor to an inverter, but
you can only have
one running at a time.

A single inverter is cheaper to buy than a converter - from my experience.  The
savings on
multiple motor setups is less clear.  The larger the converter the more
expensive it will be, but
will it be double the price of two inverters?  You will need to dig deep in the
pocket to buy a
rotary converters off the shelf - i.e. not modify a static inverter yourself.

The traditional converter using a bank of capacitors and transformers has the
ability to run a
number of motors up to the rated power of the converter but the motor is either
on or off.  A
static converter can be converted to a rotary converter by the addition of a
jockey motor.  The
rotary type of converter is definitely preferable to the static type,giving a
truer 3 phase
output.

The info about the converters is from what I have read in various sources, no
actual exerience.

Hope this helps

Dave
In Ireland