[modeleng] Re: ... New Loco

  • From: "Ron Head" <ron.head@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 23:20:50 +0100

Hi Alan

Don't forget that British Railways painted quite a few of the class maroon
in the late 1950's and they ran like this until withdrawn.  As a young
spotter, my dream was to see a red "Duchess" and I'm pleased to say that I
saw at least two that I can remember - 46238 and 46243.

Unlike you, I no longer have my spotting books, and I very much regret
throwing them away when other interests that attract young men took over!

In recent years we have been treated to the sight of the preserved 46229 in
BR maroon, but this will be lost forever now as the engine is being put back
to its original streamlined condition.  The other "mainline" Duchess, 46233
was never a streamlined engine and carries its original LMS maroon livery.
For those that prefer the BR green, there is always 46235 which is a static
exhibit somewhere in Birmingham - I'm not sure exactly where as I believe it
has been moved to a new location.

Regards
Ron