[modeleng] Re: ... New Loco

  • From: "Barrie Purslow" <bpduo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 15:42:37 +0100

Hello Jesse,

The name is "Duchess of Abercorn". The real engine was noteworthy as the
first of the class to be fitted with a double chimney. It was then tested on
the mainline with a dynamometer car and a heavy train. Over 2000 drawbar
horse power was produced for over half an hour. The engine was hand fired by
two firemen one of whom, a hard Scotsman, is alleged to have said " I dinney
want a f**king shovel, gimme a wheelbarrow and a f**king plank!" As a result
of this test the complete class was fitted with double chimneys.
In my (humble) opinion they are the finest steam locomotive ever to turn a
wheel on British rails and I would be happy to defend that statement against
all comers!

Sorry to hear about your travel restrictions. My good lady has recently been
stopped from driving because of eyesight problems. I have tried my best to
be sympathetic and understanding towards her being influenced only slightly
by my cunning plan to extend the workshop just as soon as her car has been
sold!

Thank you for the compliments,

Barrie