[modeleng] Re: ... New Loco

  • From: "Barrie Purslow" <bpduo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 11:30:58 +0100

Thanks Alan. I must point out that I did not make the engine. It was made
locally 1990 by a guy by the name of Geoff Gregson who made four. He sadly
died and the engine was sold several times before ending up dumped in a
barn.
I got my hands on it and completely stripped it. The pistons and piston
valves had to be hammered out. All the motion work bearings were shot, the
main drivers had substantial grooves on the treads, two of them were loose
on their axle and most of the twiddly bits (handrails, beading etc.) were
bent or missing.
I had heard rumours that the boiler was "lagged" with lead and, when I
removed the cladding sure enough, it was -55lbs of it, and another 55lbs
between the frames.
I rebored the cylinders then sleeved them back to the original size, made
new piston valves and liners, shrunk on new steel tyres, made new safety
valves (all four of them), renewed all the motion bearings, stripped all the
paint work and repainted it.
It's next appearance will be at the Nottingham Club next Saturday then
Gilling the Saturday after.

Cheers,

Barrie