[modeleng] Re: Laying raised track: superelevation

  • From: "R.L. Roebuck" <rlr20@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:57:34 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Clif Walker wrote:

> If you really want to find out about track laying get hold of the Model
> Engineer magazines in which Dennis Monks article titled Making Tracks is in.
> The series ran for about a year but it has the lot in it.
>
> Regards
>
> Clif

Hi there Clif,

I'm working from these articles, and this is about the only issue they
don't cover (as they are specifically for laying ground level track).

I agree with you about the packing under each sleeper being the easiest to
adjust, but in Denis Monk's first article, his diagram figure 31 from
these articles (p 766 of vol 161, no 3839) shows that [whereas on a
straight piece of track the force from the rolling stock is straight down
through the track foundation] on an ideally superelevated curve, the force
frmo the rolling stock weight and the 'centrifugal' forces are at right
angles to the track gauge - so my thinking was that unless the post is in
line with this force (ie angled with the same superelevation as the track)
then the posts will tend to be pushed to the side with time.

Maybe I'm taking the whole thing too far though and it would just be fine
with upright posts - any thoughts?

Yours,

Rich.