[modeleng] Re: Laying raised track: superelevation

  • From: "Clif Walker" <clif.gwr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:55:08 -0000

Hi All,
I think that packing under the sleepers would be best as this can then be
adjusted.
If you actually angle the supporting posts if you find that you have got it
a bit wrong or if you get settlement you are done for.With packing you can
either put some more in or take a bit out.It is also a good idea to make up
a inclination test bogie so that you can actually see and check the cant of
the track.
I made one up from from steel angle carefully welded so that the base was
perfectly flat.To this I welded axles onto which went flanged wheels but
with NO taper on the tread. On the bogie I mounted traversly a bit of
plywood about 9" high vertically with a metal pointer that hung down in the
centre.By setting up a bit of track on a level base and then putting packing
under one side to cant the track  to the required amount, when the bogies is
placed on it a simple gauge can be made if you put marks showing the
position of the pointer for various degrees of cant.
You should also gradually increase the cant as you enter the curve and not
do it all at once otherwise derailments can take place.
If you really want to find out about track laying get hold of the Model
Engineer magazines in which Dennis Monks article titled Making Tracks is in.
The series ran for about a year but it has the lot in it.

Regards

Clif