[modeleng] Re: Clinker

  • From: "Clif Walker" <clif.gwr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 21:37:48 -0000

Hi Tim and All,

As Clinker basically is a crust which forms over the fire on our size
fireholes I think that is would be almost impossible to see it and if you
could see it even more impossible to get it out.
On full size land based boilers the technique was to use tools to break the
clinker up,then rake the broken bits towards the firedoor and allow them to
cool.After it had cooled down the bits were then raked out of the  of the
firebox usually onto the boilerhouse floor.Better stokers had a steel box
which fitted on the front of the boiler, level with the bottom of the
firedoor into which the clinker was dropped.
All a bit impossible with our size boilers and I think that the best you
could do is break it up, push it to one end of the firebox and hope that you
can get enough fire with the remaining space.
The alternative is to use only Anthracite or Anthracite mixed with Coal.

Regards

Clif