[modeleng] Re: Clinker

  • From: "Wilfried Vermeiren" <vermeiren.wilfried@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 08:23:22 +0100

Hi,
A bit late in the discussion but I go along the main line, change coal.
Over here it is not the club who provides the coal but we have to get our
own from somewhere.
For the Simplex the choice was obvious anthracite household coal. There was
plenty in the basement at that time. Yes it burns in every loco but much
depends on the size of the coal and the spacing of the grate and important
the coal itself.
First the coal. This seems to come from all over the globe and some is more
rock and slate as coal. I usually judge this by the looks of it. Shining
black means to me it is hard and experience learnt me the Simplex does not
like it. To hard to get and keep going. If it is dusty and dull the coal is
more soft and will burn much easier.
Anthracite comes in different sizes and some experimenting is needed to find
the right one. This is also a bit depending of the grate spacing. I did not
experiment with the later spacing I just kept Martin's specifications.
Smaller size coal for me had the effect that it disappeared quite soon
trough the grate and it needed to be thick to compensate for this. The
result was all to easy clinker. Probably due to the fact that the smaller
size lies close together and thus blocking the passage of air thru the fire.
Preventing a clean burn.
To big a lumps passes to much air in-between and is difficult to keep going
as it seems the fire is cooling itself unless you make a big pile of it.
In the end I settled for the medium size 12/22 which gave good general
result.
By the way having the loco stationary with the blower on is more likely to
produce clinker as running it. So a vibrating grate might be a solution?
Regards
Wilfried Vermeiren
http://users.skynet.be/modelbouw.wilfried