[modeleng] Re: Clinker

  • From: "Peter J. Cathcart" <peter.cathcart@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 22:47:40 -0000

Tim

I'm not advocating thin fires all the time but those who really know how to
nurse their engines believe in them and it really works when you put the
effort in.  The point is it's a great way to sort out clinkers.

The reality is with all the issues you have to contend with on a fully
signalled track, passengers rocking, screaming as you blow the whistle in a
dark tunnel,  life is much easier if you stuff the fire at the station and
just let the fire look after itself round the track.  We have a modified
Speedy which can leave the station at 40lbs pulling two carriages and ten
people, and is just starting to blow off as it gets back into the station as
the fire is thinning.  Great fun.

Look forward to seeing you at IDSME anytime.

Peter

I'm more than glad to accept Peter's kind invitation to visit IDSME again
(it really is a nice track and lovely people): perhaps we can swap locos and
he can show me how to make a loco steam really well with a thin fire while I
demonstrate what can be done with a big fire.