[modeleng] Re: Clinker

  • From: "Clif Walker" <clif.gwr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 13:07:30 -0000

Hi Dave and All,

You were lucky with the Daw Mill, if it came in large lumps as it must have
been screened.
I've had that stuff so bad that it would not burn even on automatic stokers
in commercial boilers because as soon as it got into the worm feed it
crushed to a dust and jammed it up .
In the old days it used to come only from Daw Mill colliery which was a very
bright shiney coal,but these days it is what they call a blend and the mix
varies a hell of a lot.
The main problem is, it tends to be very soft, falls to bits and produces
tons of dust.These days  there are almost no deep mines any more which
produce the hard decent coal and it all comes from opencast mines which only
produce crud suitable for blowing into Power Station boilers .
I have seen locos trying to run on it and the main thing that it seemed to
produce was smoke.The photographers love it,but it's hard work for the poor
Fireman.
Just as a tail end, years ago I did visit a real deep coal mine which
entailed crawling along a Coal face 3 foot high which had hydraulic pit
props every 3 feet and was 600 feet long,I did the full length.
Thats another story.

Regards

Clif