[modeleng] Re: Alumin(i)um was RE: Re: O/T Disposable Propane bottles

  • From: "JESSE LIVINGSTON" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 19:23:34 -0600

Tim,

I don't know if lead will alloy with ALUMINUM at low temps or not, prolly
not, but I wouldn't want to eat something cooked in said pot after it was
used to melt Plumbium.  Apparently ALUMINUM is pretty resistant to mild
acids or all the soda pop cans would leak  shortly after filling.  Sodium
Hydroxide will attack ALUMINUM as you pointed out and in the process
liberates lots of hydrogen.  When I was a lad, we used to put ALUMINUM
scraps in a soda pop bottle and pour in some concentrated lye solution.  If
we stretched a balloon over the top of the bottle, it would shortly acquire
enough Hydrogen to allow it to float up into the wild blue yonder when
sealed and removed.

Fun, Fun Fun with chemistry which is way, way off topic and I apologize
profusely and will try to do better in the future..

Jesse