[mac4theblind] Re: Voice vision | AppleVis

  • From: Scott Granados <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 23:15:50 -0500

Rich, I support your point, I'm not sure whether I would get to a point I was
comfortable listening to beeps in stereo instead of just good old environmental
sounds.  I'm open to the idea though but I like you would be a hard sell.  I'm
very picky about my bluetooth headsets because I want access to as much
environmental information as I possibly can so I get the idea of not wanting to
cloud that space with artificial sounds of moderate usability.  I'm open to the
idea though with training or practice it may be usable but I'm not sold.

On Jan 9, 2013, at 4:27 PM, Richard Ring
<richring@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:richring@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

I, for one, am not afraid of it, I'm simply doubting its overall usefulness for
me.

You can have an off day, but you can't have a day off! ---The Art of Fielding
 Sent from my Mac Book Pro
richring@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:richring@xxxxxxxxx>

On Jan 9, 2013, at 2:57 PM, David Hilbert Poehlman
<poehlman1@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:poehlman1@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

I didn't say anything about using it, I said if you learn about it, you are
less likely to be afraid of it.

On Jan 9, 2013, at 3:52 PM, Cheryl Homiak
<cahomiak@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:cahomiak@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

I don't think it's necessarily as simple as a matter of a bit of homework
allaying fears. I think each person is different; for some, additional input
like this app may be very helpful; for others, it may be tantamount to a
distraction; it is true that only trying these things will tell you for sure
whether or not they would be helpful or not.

--
Cheryl

May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable to You, Lord,
my rock and my Redeemer.
(Psalm 19:14 HCSB)

On Jan 9, 2013, at 2:32 PM, David Hilbert Poehlman
<poehlman1@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:poehlman1@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

I guess it depends on the brain.  I am aware of that documentary but think a
bit of home work would allay your fears.

On Jan 9, 2013, at 2:47 PM, Sarah k Alawami
<marrie12@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:marrie12@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

I saw a documentary about this about 15 years ago and I was a bi confused by
it. It sounds nice but would not your brain have a lot of overload  in this
case?

Take care.
On Jan 9, 2013, at 10:28 AM, David Hilbert Poehlman
<poehlman1@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:poehlman1@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

I just took this for it's first spin on my iPod touch 5 and am awed by it.
I've been working with the original software since 1998 and am thrilled to have
this functionality on iOs!

Empowering blind and low-vision users of Apple products and related applications
LoginRegisterSubmit contentSupport AppleVisHelp
Search this site:   Search in:
Apps Forum Blog Podcasts Guides App Deals Accessory Reviews
Voice vision
Submitted by AnonyMouse on 8 January 2013

Posted in:
Utilities
Description of App
This is a utility to help visual impaired persons to get a quick view of the
surrounding environment by the camera.It helps you to detect
walls,doors,windows,light sources.You can use it to know object's colors .
This application convert image from the back camera to sound . It scans from
left to right ,one to four times per second .A pixel from the image generate a
tone at pitch from 440HZ to 15000HZ,the brightness controls the loudness of the
tone. The pixels from the top generate high pitch sounds , and the pixels from
the bottom of the image generate low pitch sounds . There are about 30 pixels
generate sounds at the same time ,like 30 peoples sing together with different
loudness.

There is a realtime color picker , which tells you the color name of the pixel
of the center of the video frame .
There is a image color analyzer ,which report the percentage of colors of a
image .

Version
1.0
Free or Paid
Free
Compatibility
This is a universal app, so works natively on the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad
Device(s) App Was Tested On
iPhone 5
Accessibility Comments
Very accessible.

VoiceOver Performance
VoiceOver reads all page elements.
Button Labelling
All buttons are clearly labelled.
Usability
The app is fully accessible with VoiceOver and is easy to navigate and use.
Other Comments
This is a very interesting little utility. The app itself is very accessible.

To completely grasp in what is going on will take some time to adjust to fully
understand how it works. I highly recommend in reading the Manual and the
Tutorial that comes with this app.

One thing to note about the color identification is that I believe it can
recognize up to 192 different colors. The one thing that it doesn't have is the
ability to turn on your Torch. I find that Color Identifications with devices
that has the Torch does a better job of recognizing it. So for this app you
really need to have a good lighting for a more accurate reading.

The other options to sense things like the walls and objects is quite
fascinating. I almost feel like a bat or it would seem like that this is what
bat's must hear when they use their sonar kind of like mechnisim to detect
things. As this may not be used reliablely in an everyday situation it is fun
to play with.

The other feature that it also provide is the light detection. As you would
keep in mind that when focused on to a bright source the louder that the device
will sound and the ability to go away or left/right of the source that it will
be heard by the direction on your headphones. Very much like the Light Detector
but this app isn't as annoying as you would find in the Light Detector.

So you really get three functionality in this one single app that is FREE.
However, there is an in-app purchase if you want the refreshing rate to be
faster and more accurate. Plus, of course you would be helping the developer in
making this app possible for us and supporting him for the effort.

Link to Voice vision in the App Store
Visit developer web site
User Options
0 AppleVis user(s) have recommended this app for VoiceOver users.
0 AppleVis user(s) have reported that they have contacted the developer about
accessibility issues with this app.
Login or register to post comments Post to Twitter
Comments
#1 Hi, I downloaded the
Submitted by Sean Terry on 9 January 2013.
Hi, I downloaded the application and purchased the upgrade feature. I was
wondering if the developer could make it so you could have extra slow panning.
So that the sound would pan accross for at least two seconds before Restarting
the panning sequence

Login or register to post comments
#2 Hi, I downloaded the free
Submitted by Sean Terry on 9 January 2013.
Hi, I downloaded the free application and upgraded by purchasing. I was
wondering if the developer could make the panning extra slow. So that the
panning would cross at two seconds per pan.

Login or register to post comments
#3 sounds reversed on iPhone5
Submitted by mehgcap on 9 January 2013.
I just downloaded this app and I noticed the soundscapes are reversed. They pan
from right to left instead of left to right, and sounds on the left come from
the right speaker and vice versa. Aside from that things seem to work perfectly!

Login or register to post comments
#4 I do believe I posted twice.
Submitted by Sean Terry on 9 January 2013.
I do believe I posted twice. I'm sorry. I want to agree with the poster before
me yes, the sounds are reversed on the iPhone five. I hope also that the
developer can make it happen so that we can pan the sound accross for at least
two seconds so we can really understand what we're looking at

Login or register to post comments
Similar Content
You may also be interested in the following posts:

i have developed a app that convert color to sound, is it useful? posted in
AppleVis Forum on 15 November 2012
Image To Text - OCR posted in iOS App Directory on 3 July 2011
Color ID Free posted in iOS App Directory on 24 March 2011
VisionHunt Color Edition posted in iOS App Directory on 26 April 2011
Accessible Color Picker posted in AppleVis Forum on 14 November 2012
image recognition posted in AppleVis Forum on 4 October 2012
HueVue: Colorblind Tools posted in iOS App Directory on 19 September 2010
Solid Color on iPod/iPhone home screen for low vision users? posted in AppleVis
Forum on 18 October 2012
About RSS Feeds Newsletters Links Developers Advocacy Contact
Unless stated otherwise, all content is copyright AppleVis. All rights
reserved. © 2013 | Accessibility | Privacy
Apple and the Apple Logo are trademarks of Apple Inc. © 2013. All Rights
Reserved.

with his
Hands-On Technologeye(s)
touching the internet