[lit-ideas] Re: speaking of libraries in the United States of Earth

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 06:18:11 EDT

I think there are all kinds of circumstances that don't get addressed by  the
wide brush you guys are painting with.  When I was in my 20's I did a
volunteer stint at a local church teaching ESL to people from all over the
world.
(Truth be told, I primarily wanted to learn *their*  languages.)  I was
invited to the home of a couple from Tunisia and served  some of the most
delicious
food I've ever had.  We (at the church) tried to  do something "social" so as
not to be merely sitting around using textbooks, but  using English in
everyday life-type situations.  We once made taffy and  pulled it.  A couple of
young
women from ........god, I've forgotten  now......somewhere Asian, I think,
started cracking up when we began to eat  it.  We gradually got it out of them
that they made something very similar  in their kitchens but instead of eating
it spread it on their arms, let it dry,  and ripped it off, to "shave".  I met
and made very good friends with a  woman from Spain.  She was 20 something
with a beautiful 2 yr. old  son.   She was here because her husband was
studying
at the  University.  He spoke flawless English.  She spoke absolutely  none.
He never let her out of his sight (he was a bit of a jealous type  and she
*was* gorgeous, tall, slender, blond hair waving to the waist), and he  simply
translated for her whenever communication was necessary.  She and I  ended up
hanging out a lot, and I became very fluent in Spanish (which I had  studied
formally for years, but never had the opportunity to use outside of  literature
and class)  and she learned some English.  My  sister-in-law's parents are
from the Dominican Republic.  They moved to NY  (I *think* they're in
Manhattan,
but I couldn't swear to it) mid-life, and  Milagros (Millie for short) and her
sister were born in the states.  Millie  & sis are both fluent in both
languages, but their parents are limited in  their use of English.  They've
lived in
the States for many years, but the  brain is an interesting machine.  It does
not always so easily and well  learn new tricks mid-way through life.  Try
teaching a 4 year old multiple  languages.  It will exceed all your
expectations.  Thirty or forty,  the brain has some fairly ingrained patterns
and doesn't
adapt as well as a  kiddo's to new ideas and language formations.  Okay, I'm
through rambling,  I think.  This insomnia thing has got to stop.

Julie Krueger
who still dreams in Spanish sometimes

========Original Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: speaking of
libraries in the United States of  Earth  Date: 8/6/05 10:52:53 P.M. Central
Daylight Time  From: _mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxxx (mailto:mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx)
To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:
Mike:  Surely a hospital can have on hand a  Spanish translator since
a large minority of Americans speak Spanish  only.  How provincial!
How "fuck you!" to the rest of the  world.

___

Provincial, ah here's the rub! My friend is NOT a  native American
but learned English to pass the USMLE to practice here, then  learned
Spanish to communicate with those who refuse to learn our  language.

It's the Spanish speakers who are saying fuck you by refusing  to
learn our language.

Furthermore, it's not parochialism. You may be  comfortable with the
creation of an American slave caste who cannot speak  English. I want
everyone to speak English so they are not forced to be  slaves.